Monday, July 27, 2009

Gas ! a necessity NOT a friend!!

We are renting this place on a farm, very beautiful and every time people come visit us they are amazed at how we got this place. We live on a farm in the middle of the city with lots of friendly animals like deer, horses, ponies, goats, ducks, hen, cows, crazy wild cats etc. and we are really at home; paradise is what we sometimes refer to it, however we have encountered some difficulties and these particular one only appear during winter. We have had electricity black outs no power for days and when there isn't power it means we often run short of water as the system runs on an electric pump which isn't a big issue since we also have the municipal water which is turned on. We had no power as one of the main boards was on fire and the municipal here take their time to fix things. In fact if one had to wait for them, they would the chances of them having power is never as they are full of useless excuses as to why they wont pitch up to do their work or why they will pitch up in the dark to fix electricity but wont do it because its dark and they are cold. We had had the same problem a couple of weeks back so when it happened this time we called up our wonderful friends the Parsons who where kind to lend us their generator till our electricity was fixed. First we spent about two hours driving up and down looking for gas for our gas heater turns out that the size of the gas bottle we had were out of stock so we eventually head out to Sean and Shelley's to pick up this life saver, and they even prepared dinner for us since it was quite late after 9pm. After dinner we headed home all happy as we were going to have hot showers and have some light at home and not worry a bout the deep freeze and fridge and our stomachs full. Wayne set up the generator and the last bit needed some light to make sure all was in place correctly. Then we remembered we had a gas lantern that we could provide us with the needed light. We lit two candles so Wayne could see clearly as he replaced the lantern canister. As he did that he asked if i could push the candles nearer so he could see properly. Next thing we know the gas is leaking out and there is a hissing sound and baam!!!! , Wayne is on fire literally his hands, his face, his hair a.d
Im watching in shock as he slaps the fire off his face which he eventually does. and the canister is on fire the flame is getting bigger and bigger and to make matters wore we were fixing this in our kitchen that has a grass thatched roof. He eventually manages to run out with the canister to the porch and we try to use a dry cloth to put out the fire which doesn't help, then we remember lets try a wet cloth , nothing helps lets try a blanket nothing works the fire gets even bigger eventually Wayne the genius shouts "sand" i know what we should do, SAND!!!! he runs to the garage grabs the shovel and scoops dirt form the flower bed and throws it on the fire which dies after about eight trios of sand were made. We then use a candle to fix the generator and turn it on. And then check Wayne out to see the damage done. As we checking him out we just burst out and laugh so hard, I think it was from all the shock. The damage his eye brows his hair and part of his arms had been burnt so I took him to the bathroom and used a small pair to scissors to trim the eye brows and hair that had been burnt and we applied first aid to the burn on his arm. Thanks to elastoplus the burn spray it worked like magic as when we woke up in the morning there was no sign of a burn on Wayne's arm yet when it all happened it was starting to blister. So We ended up having hot showers,sleeping in a warm bed and watching tv with the whole house smelling of fried/brunt hair. We called mom to tell her about it as we thought she would laugh with us but boy she wasn't thrilled at all that we found it funny but was alright the following morning. But we were both grateful for electricity and more so for the fact that Wayne wasn't hurt so bad. I must say the whole day I have been in shock from the incident but getting over it slowly.We have learnt our lesson and hope something like this never occurs again. Once is enough.PS: Gas can be very dangerous
We are so grateful for the protection the lord has blessed us with and for all the many blessings He has given us.

No comments: