Monday, August 30, 2010

Food Storage

Food storage has been a topic that has been around for a long time even in the old testament during the time of Joseph in Egypt they stored grain for seven years when there was plenty for the seven years when famine plagued them. We had the opportunity to go to a workshop on food storage last weekend on Saturday. I must say I was not very thrilled to go. I was up at 7.30am spring cleaning our garage and I wasn't done by 10.30am and for the ocd gene in me was not very happy leaving work incomplete as this was the only opportunity I had to clean otherwise due to our schedule this would be done next year. After several "I will be done in 10 mins" Wayne eventually managed to drag me out of the garage and I got ready and we were on our way minus breakfast. Thanks love!! I felt terrible for starving my husband's but hoping to making it up to him. Anyways we got to church and were able to listen to all about food storage and I took out my note book to take down as much info as I could. We are into food storage and I think we have enough for6 months in case of an emergency but that is not good enough our goal is to have a year's supply by the end of this year. We have been encourage and commanded by our church leaders and prophets to be vigilant in this field.

Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles taught
"Acquire and store a reserve of food and supplies that will sustain life. . . . As long as I can remember, we have been taught to prepare for the future and to obtain a year's supply of necessities. I would guess that the years of plenty have almost universally caused us to set aside this counsel. I believe the time to disregard this counsel is over. With events in the world today, it must be considered with all seriousness" ("If Ye Are Prepared Ye Shall Not Fear," Ensign,Nov. 1995, 36).

Not only have we been encourage to have a years supply of food storage we have recently been asked to make a 72 hour emergency pack.
Did you know that

In case of an emergency say for example a hurricane, floods etc struck, it takes the government or other agencies 72 hours to get to the disaster areas?

We don't have to buy our food storage at one go it starts by bit by bit by two extra tins or cans of food when shopping .

Swimming pool water in case of emergencies belongs to the government so they can come in and drain your water supply and you would do nothing about it?Use a black jerrycan for water storage as it prevents the UV rays from going through and contaminating the water. For a 20 liter jerrycan add 2 table spoons full of jik and it will last for ever. Jik is just a high concentration of chlorine.

What, where and how do I go about with food storage... just put a list on your fridge and when never you hear either your child/husband or even you crave for something write it down and when you go shopping buy in excess where permissible.

Hygiene: A lot of people think during disasters hygiene doesn't count but wipes those baby wipes do help. one may not be able to have a bath but wipes can help. I for one have to bath at least twice a day. I cant fall asleep if i haven't had a bathe or shower. I have tried and always end up waking up having my shower then going to bed in the middle of the night.

Check for expiry dates when buying food storage.

Use durable stuff to store your stuff, plastic are usually attacked by rodents.Glass is quite good.

LDS have what we call a distribution center and they do stock up foods that one can buy for storage and they are pack in very durable containers . Most of them last for ten years and storage is great the containers a have also plastic lids in case you open them so they are safe. The items range from powdered milk peas wheat, rice, potato flakes the list is long.

Someone said that he asked his father why they always had food storage but they were never able to use it and his father told him that the blessing they had received from food storage is that they never had to use it. isn't that wonderful!!

You may not use the food storage but it will help someone in need. I'm so grateful for this opportunity and teachings we receive from our leaders in the church and revelations that help us to be better people and look after ourselves and loved ones.
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=32ee1a01e8d43210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

No comments: