Thursday, June 24, 2010

Book of Mormon 24 hr Challenge

At the beginning of the year, the youth at church were asked during one of the bishop youth committee meetings about things that could help them grow both physically and spiritually as they planned for their annual camp. It was suggested that we i.e the youth and leaders should study the book of Mormon since it was part of their personal progress for young women and duty to God for the young men. It would begin on the first day of camp and we would study it in 90 days.And after the 90 day challenge we would have a BOM 24 hour challenge. I must say at the beginning of this challenge I was very you know need to get this done kind of energy and somewhere in the middle I lost track but resumed during the exam period and after that persevered to the end a few days after the challenge. Wayne on the other hand was very disciplined and completed his even before the 90 days. He was going to be late for the 24 hour challenge so he finished the 90 day study 2 days ealier and started from the beginning in order not to miss out since he was joining us late because he had a soccer match to go to at 4pm. Day 90 was last week on Thursday and on Friday at 6pm we sat down with the youth and one of the parents with her kids - Eppel family decided to do this as a family thing. So we had little Sylvie who is not in youth and Robert and John with his girl friend Caitlin who are past youth. The turn up was great not all the youth made it. I was impressed by the energy exuded by the youth and determination they wore on their faces. I on the other hand had a personal concerns that I would fall asleep by 8pm. I'm usually asleep by 8.30pm so I was scared about setting a bad example but surprise I endured. We studied the BOM and read it in turns the atmosphere was so calming and great. After I think 11pm some people experienced sleep challenges and they took power naps of about 20mins and were woken up and joined the studying. John on the other hand fell asleep by I think 10pm and by 11, he and Cait threw in the towel calling it a day. At about 2am some of the youth left -Squires. We had a few 20 minute breaks during this course, one at midnight then another at 3am, 5am, 9am and 12pm, some time on Saturday afternoon and eventually finished study the book in 27 hours. At 24 hours, Wayne explained to the youth that the challenge was meant for 24 hours but we had not yet completed it and if any of them wanted to go we could call it a day and thanked them for their efforts and to our surprise they said they wanted to completed the book. Their determination was so unbelievable. So we continued studying till 10pm when the last chapter was read. I must say it is one of the most challenging things I have ever done in my life. I'm not so sure if I would do it again but never say never. It is an experience I will cherish for the rest of my life. I'm grateful for the BOK and for the guidance and lessons there is to learn and principles of the gospel. I'm grateful for the prophet Joseph Smith and for the availability we have to gain all this wonderful knowledge and blessings that we have received from studying it. If you have not read this book I would recommend it to everyone. its easy to get hold of just contact me via comment section and will avail one to you.

No comments: